Dedicated to Those That Are Not Ashamed of Economy

Monday, July 19, 2010

Favorite Frugal Resources

So I decided to make a list of some of my favorite books that encourage a frugal lifestyle.

Of course where would we be without The Tightwad Gazette? You can tell a true fellow tightwadder from the fact that they've read this book. The Dacyczyns' articles are truly diverse - everything from haircuts, to recipes, to home decorating, to gardening is covered. It's timelessness is noted in the fact that when I tried to reserve one of the three copies from the library, I was on a waiting list of close to 20!

Money Doesn't Grow On Trees: A Parent's Guide to Raising Financially Responsible Children by Neale S. Godfrey, Carolina Edwards, and Tad Richards. I don't use all their suggestions but it is a good starting place to teaching children the value of money. I really like the games they suggest for helping young children learn about money.

Clean and Green: The Complete Guide to Non-Toxic and Environmentally Safe Housekeeping by Annie Berthold-Bond. I read this many years ago when I checked it out of the La Leche League lending library. While some people may be more interested in the "green" aspect, that is a secondary benefit for me (although it is nice knowing there are no hazardous chemicals in the house when you have small children running around). It got me started on making my own household cleaners and I spend only a few cents making a bottle of all-purpose cleaner.

The Little House on the Prairie Books. Why? Because they remind us that having just one corncob doll to play with can be a delight and that kids can spend hours playing "house" with a tree stump. When children get used to having "less" they use their imaginations more and appreciate their possessions more. These books inspired me to spend less on gift-giving occasions and spend next-to-nothing on toys and other entertainment the rest of the year.

How-to Manuals. My husband has saved us so much by using a bicycle maintenance manual and auto repair manuals. I have some gardening books and a massage book.

The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko. While not a how-to manual, it is inspiring to read that most millionaires have gotten where they are because of a moderate budget.

Suze Orman's books. Say what you will about Suze (she annoys my husband to no end), her books have solid advice with practical, concrete examples. Not only that, she helps you understand your own emotional connection with money and how that has helped/hindered your financial situation.

So that's my list for now. What are your favorite frugal resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment