Dedicated to Those That Are Not Ashamed of Economy

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Gift Wrapping

A couple years ago I decided that as part of my frugal living I would not buy gift wrap, ribbons, bows, etc anymore. I would reuse what we had, reuse wrapping/bags given to us, or find creative ways to wrap gifts. So far my plan is still working. So many people give gift bags nowadays that I have more bags than I'll use in a year. I decided that I'm not a big fan of reusing wrapping paper although I will if it's a large piece.

Creative gift wrap:

*The classic way - Sunday comics (really cute tied up with yarn)
*blank newsprint that you use to pack boxes - you can paint your own design!
*those cheap plastic table cloths you use for parties
*fabric scraps
*tissue paper (need several layers)
*I've even used the paper off individually wrapped toilet tissue to wrap stocking stuffers
*paper grocery bags
*paper lunch bags
*not a "wrap," but putting the gift in a basket always seems classy
*plain (shoe?) box with a bright ribbon

Creative ribbons and bows:

*strips of fabric
*old hair bows
*old Christmas ribbons
*yarn (could even crochet a ribbon)
*string or twine
*paint one on!
*foil

Here's a pic of Eva's birthday gifts. One is wrapped in the funnies and they both have her old hair bows. I took off the metal hair clip and hot glued them on. Then after she opens them I'll reuse the bows.



Some creative ideas I haven't used yet:

*my local library has a section where they sell donated books. I noticed they also sell magazines and maps for cheap. Maps are .15 each and I think a map-wrapped gift would be so neat! Also, gifts wrapped in pages from a nature magazine or a calendar would be nice.
*I haven't had the need to make these yet, but if I ever run out of bags I will
Reusable Fabric Gift Bags
*My mom sent me a birthday present and it was wrapped in Christmas wrapping turned inside out so that it looked white. This is a great idea when you realize you don't have the "right" wrapping and you're leaving for the party in 5 minutes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment