Dedicated to Those That Are Not Ashamed of Economy

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade Croutons

I was trying to come up with something to go with our chicken for dinner tonight (yes, at the very last minute) and I knew we had a salad we needed to use up. But I also knew that a plain salad on everyone's plate (including mine) probably wouldn't get eaten. What makes a salad 10 times more delectable? Croutons, of course! Alas, I do not keep croutons stocked in the pantry because of the cost. But I did have a 2 day old baguette that had turned rock hard...And once again allrecipes saved the day! I found a recipe that turned our stale baguette into gourmet croutons. Cody kept stealing more croutons to pop in his mouth and everyone ate their salad. For the time, money, and better-than-restaurant-quality taste I can't imagine ever buying croutons after this.

Ingredients

  • 15 slices bread
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt (optional) - (I used half garlic powder and half salt as that is what I had on hand)
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Remove crusts from stale bread slices. Cut bread slices up into small cubes and place in mixing bowl.
  3. Mix melted butter and garlic salt together and pour over bread cubes. Stir gently until evenly coated. Spread on ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool. Store croutons in a covered container or plastic bag. Serve in soups or salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment