Dedicated to Those That Are Not Ashamed of Economy

Thursday, July 15, 2010

What's Your Hourly Wage??

Cody and I have had awful coughs and congestion last week and Cody's still getting over Bronchitis. So we had a lazy week last week sleeping in, watching movies, playing games, and letting the house go. Friday night (New Year's) both of us were still feeling poorly and oh no! what are we going to have for dinner? During the week we had used up any convenience foods we had and of course we hadn't been to the store. The frozen casseroles would take a couple hours to cook and wouldn't it be so much easier if we just went out to eat? Ah, the excuses started to add up. But I reminded myself that we'd been out to eat already that week and wouldn't it be nice to have that extra money to spend on something else, like my brother's wedding? So I put on my apron and made a turkey pot pie. 25 minutes preparing it, 35 minutes baking, and it was delicious. The great thing about the mind is that if you can talk yourself into something, you can also talk yourself back out of it!

My Couponsense instructor forwarded this youtube video on "A Penny Saved is About 1.5 Cents Earned." So after watching this I did this calculation:
$15 saved (money we would have spent on fast food) - $2 (generous estimate of cost of turkey pot pie) = $13. $13 x 1.5 (a penny saved is 1.5 cents earned...) = $19.50 earned (for one half hour of cooking time). $19.50 earned x 2 (half hours of cooking time) = $39 earned per hour. So sucking it up and enjoying a healthy, homemade meal was equal to nearly a $40/hour job! (did I do the math right? Seemed to make sense when I figured it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment